- Import product data using the Consonance product data spreadsheet template.
- Importing creates new products in the system.
- Click here to learn about the general importing process.
1. Add data to the product template spreadsheet
- Each row in the spreadsheet template represents one product. Complete one column or many.
titlecolumn name must be present in the top row to identify the spreadsheet as an import of products.
- Each row must have data in the title column to be valid.
New products only
A new product is created for each row in your spreadsheet. Currently, you cannot update existing products using the importer.
Each new imported product will automatically create a new work and a contract with the same name. If the product name and work name should not be the same, update the work name manually within Consonance after import.
Multiple new products for the same new work
If several products in your spreadsheet should belong to the same work (hardback, paperback and ebook, for example), use a matching same work identifier for each product. The same work identifier can be any set of characters that is unique within that column. You might choose one of the product’s ISBNs.
2. Product columns
- Titles are automatically de-prefixed.
The Hobbitis stored with
Theas the title prefix and
Hobbitas the title, for ONIX compliance. Titles longer than 255 characters will be truncated.
- Subtitles longer than 255 characters will be truncated.
- For now, the ISBN must be entered without hyphens.
- The data will be validated for the correct number of characters and digits, and the standard ISBN checksum.
- ISBN-10 will be automatically converted to ISBN-13 for ONIX compliance.
- ISBN will be formatted for ONIX compliance.
Same work identifier
- All rows with matching work identifiers will be created under the same newly created work. For example, placing
01in the same work identifier column on the row with the hardback and the row with the paperback, will create both products under the same work. Otherwise, two separate works will be created, one for each product.
- The same work identifier can be any set of characters that is unique within that column. You might choose one of the product’s ISBNs.
- The date must be in the format YYYY-MM-DD for absolute clarity.
- The date must make sense with publishing status. For example, if the pub date is in the future, the publishing status must be forthcoming.
- Must be a valid ONIX publishing status: either the code, description or one of the keywords:
- Must not be
09 Unknownbecause these are strongly advised against by ONIX recipients.
- Must not be
12 Recalled (deprecated)because it is deprecated.
- Must not be
16 Temporarily withdrawn from salebecause this requires additional fields.
- View ONIX publishing status codes.
- Must make sense with publication date. For example, if the publishing status is forthcoming, the pub date must be in the future.
- If this field is not provided and a pub date is present, the system automatically assigns: future dates to “02 - Forthcoming” status, past dates to “04 - Active” status.
- If this field is not provided and a pub date is not present, the system automatically assigns “00 - Unspecified”. Be sure to update this field manually after import.
- Must be a valid ONIX product form code such as
DG, or a digital publication type keyword as below.
00 Undefinedor anything ending in
Aare disallowed as too generic.
- Valid digital publication type keywords are:
DGand the ONIX epublication type code to the specified keyword’s code.
- View ONIX product form codes.
- If nothing is provided, the system automatically assigns the ONIX product form
00 Undefined. Be sure to update this field manually after import.
- Must be a valid Consonance imprint code.
- View imprint codes.
- Must be a valid Thema code (accepts code only).
- View Thema codes on the Editeur website.
Main BIC subject
- Must be a valid BIC code.
- View BIC codes on the Editeur website.
3. More product bulk upload options
Other product attributes are available to manage in bulk elsewhere in the system: